Speech Language Pathology
Truly understand the process of speaking
Can Only be “understood” by the actual use of your modeling
what the person with difficulty speaking needs as a model for comprehension and expression.
Understand how to use your speaking as a model for improved speaking
The Relationship: Out of just about anything you will learn about speech language pathology the RELATIONSHIP you develop with the person with the speaking difficulty.
Rapport: The more that you have something in common with the person who has the speaking difficulty the better the relationship typically is.
The Speech Model
Importance of Stimulability
- Individual’s motor performance
- individual’s immediate memory
- your speaking clarity, emphasis rhythm and prosody
- level of difficulty of what you wish to be imitated.
Their average Mean Length of Utterance Gives you a Clue of Where to Start in terms of # of words and the complexity of the model you give.
- Being ever Mindful of your speech
- being heard and understood
- appropriate for imitation
- of articulation,
Match and mirror
- speaking of your patient/client.
- Comprehension/understanding will be better.
Involvement of Family
- Mutual Respect
Simplicity: Making it Easy
Carry-Over: Get Over It
Talking and Conversation: What it requires:
- An inquiry
- It’s ok to cue.
- Here’s the rule: Cue until you no longer need to.
- Use a cue as long as it is necessary.
- You will know when the time comes if you are observant.
ELIMINATING DISTRACTIONS IN THE CLINICAL RELATIONSHIP
- You are there for one reason and one reason only: To give you complete attention to the person or those you are working with.
- Cell phone off
- Total focus on what you are doing to help the person you are with and constantly assessing whether what you are doing is getting positive results
- If no….change
- If yes, continue and reinforce.